The key to good sweet muffins is not over mixing them, so don’t be alarmed if this mixture looks little coarse. This is a good basic mixture and we have loaded it with blueberries. Our preference is lots of fruit and just enough batter to hold it all together. Feel free to make your own additions; cooked apples, pears, quinces, other type of berries, mixed spice, cinnamon and sugar, plus flaked or slivered almonds all work well.
- Heat the oven to 180C. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with baking papers.
- Weigh the sugar into the mixing bowl and process 2 seconds/speed 10.
- Add the flour, eggs , oil and milk, then mix 30 seconds/speed 2
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin.
- Scatter 1 punnet of blueberries over the muffins then poke them down into the mixture with a small spoon. Scatter the other punnet of bluberries over the tops.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes—a skewer into the centre should come out clean.
- As soon as the muffins come out the oven dust them generously with caster sugar.